THE WORLD WAR MONUMENT
The World War Monument was built in 1941, in memory of the soldiers of Remetea who fell in the line of duty during the First World War. The designer was Árpád Borbáth, an assistant parish clerk and stonemason. The unveiling in the spring of 1942 was an event that was fervently celebrated in Remetea. The monument is 3.5 metres high and sits on a square foundation. On the north side, you can see the three hills from the Hungarian coat of arms, above which there is a Latin cross. At the topmost part of the stone foundation is the map of Greater Hungary, in which you can see the Danube, the Mureș, the Olt and the Sava rivers. Above the map, in relief, is the Holy Crown of Hungary. The motifs decorating this monument make it unique among all monuments built in Székelyland in memory of the World Wars, and it was a subject of great irritation for many communist party officials. In 1960, it was moved to its present site, and there – under the protection of the Roman Catholic church – survived the communist years. The list of the names of the soldiers fallen during the Second World War was added to the monument in 1979.
THE MILLENNIUM MONUMENT
The Millennium Monument is in front of the Saint Leonard (“Szent Lénárd”) parish. Papal prelate László Orbán commissioned the monument, which was financed by parishioners’ donations and erected in the year 2000. It is the work of stonemason Ferenc Ivácson Molnár.
THE CSERES TIBOR MONUMENT
The writer Tibor Cseres (1915-1993) was born in Remetea. He was the author of a number of novels, for which he received the József Attila and Kossuth literary prizes. Between 1986 and 1990, he was the Chairman of the Union of Hungarian Writers. Among his novels are “Hideg napok” [Cold Days], “A vízaknai csata” [“The Battle of Vízakna”], “Én, Kossuth Lajos” [“Me, Kossuth Lajos”] and “Vérbosszú” [“Bloody Revenge at Bácska”].
The monument was unveiled in 1995 by Remetea’s local government and the RMDSZ (Democratic Alliance of Hungarians in Romania). The writer’s portrait is in copper bas-relief, and is the work of sculptor Emil Burján Gál of Gheorgheni. The monument itself is the work of Béla Barabás, a stonemason from Lăzarea.
THE MEMORIALS AROUND THE SAINT LENARD CHURCH
VILÁGHÁBORÚS HŐSÖK EMLÉKPARCELLÁJA
THE BALÁS JENŐ COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUES
Jenő Balás (1882-1938) was born in Remetea. He was a mining prospector and engineer, and a pioneer of the bauxite mining industry in Hungary. The school in Csutakfalva bears his name since 1996. There are two commemorative plaques on the school’s wall, in remembrance of this man of science.
THE BALÁS GÁBOR COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
Gábor Balás (1908-1995) was a lawyer, law historian and writer born in Gheorgheni, into a family originally from Remetea. In tribute to his work as a writer and historian, a commemorative plaque was unveiled at the cultural hall, which bears his name since then.
THE MÁLNÁSI CSABA COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
The Málnási Csaba plaque is on the northern face of the “Kecskekő” [“Goat Rock”] peak, which is 1,481 metres high. You can reach the “Kecskekő” by car or via the marked hiking path (signposted with a red triangle) starting from the centre of the village and going west. Csaba Málnási died in 2009 and, for decades, was a passionate organizer of tourism and ski sports in the Gheorgheni basin. The commemorative plaque was made by Dr. Gyula Jakab, geologist, and was carried up into the mountains by the members of the “Erdélyi Kárpát Egyesület” [“Transylvanian Carpathian Association”] from Gheorgheni, and the Málnási family, in 2010.
THE VERESS FERENC COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
The Veress Ferenc plaque is on the parish church wall near the entrance. Ferenc Veress,was an appeal court judge in the Ciuc Seat Court of Appeal, in the first half of the nineteenth century. The plaque to his memory was commissioned by his widow and children in 1848. Above the lettering is Jesus on the cross.
THE FRÁTER GYÖRGY MONUMENT
The Fráter György monument is between the Saint Leonard (“Szent Lénárd”) parish church and the parish house. György Martinuzzi Fráter was Cardinal and Governor of Transylvania. He is linked to the founding of the original settlement in Remetea. The local parish erected the monument in 2006 to mark the 455.th anniversary of the cardinal’s death.
Some of the historical information inscribed on the pyramid-shaped andesite monument is inaccurate.
THE AVULLY-REMETEA COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUES
To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the relationship between Avully (a town near Geneva, Switzerland) and the schools of Remetea, the Avully-Remetea Foundation unveiled a trilingual commemorative plaque (in Hungarian, French and Romanian) at the Fráter György Primary School. In 2011, in recognition of twenty years of co-operation, another plaque was unveiled at the Balás Jenő Primary School.
THE VILLAGE HALL INAUGURATION COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
The new village hall was built between 2002 and 2005. A commemorative plaque was unveiled near the entrance for the event.